Friday, July 20, 2007

Prideful to be a crafter

I have been with etsy for a year. I did not work my shop very much during the winter. It was hard to find time to craft and have a full time job and do the craft fairs on the weekends. Busy! I would like to be able to do just on line sales and drop the craft fair route. I struggle with how to advertise and get and keep my shop out there. I am joining and learning about blogging but I am not sure anyone is really interested in what I have to say or not. I truly love crafting, I am not an artist but a crafter and I take great pride in that. Crafting to me is a long tradition of skills that have been handed down from generation to generation. Crafting was a means to an end. you could not afford to buy so you learned how to make it yourself. I was very poor when my children were young. I learned how to cake decorate so my children would have birthday cakes like their friends. I ended up making a few bucks with my skill because all my children's Friends wanted the cake my kids had. HMMMM!I taught myself and have handed it down to my daughters how to crochet. I could not afford nice warm blankets and so made them. My children would not sleep with anything else. Each item my hands create be it cards or a 200.00 afghan it is crafted in love and a deepness in pride. traditions are important in the stability of our families and crafting comes from traditions from a long ways back. I encourage myself as well as others to keep their craft alive. I will continue to sell my wares in hopes that I find that customer that just needs what I have to offer.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Just keep at it...mention in the forums when you newly post, and you'll get some watchers! :)

♥ Angie

Krazy Kate Designs said...

Great blog! Your passing on more than skills in crafts, but a practical set of reference for survival skills!

s.i. michaels said...

Sherrie, this is a great post. I love what you have to say about the *tradition* of crafting, which really feels like it's gotten lost in the marketing of craft (along with $30.00 skeins of yarn and briolettes for 2.75 a piece.)

As contrary as it may seem, I sometimes hope the trendiness will pass.

Meg Stearns said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I had to visit yours in return! And Im so glad I did! You have some wonderful words of wisdom and I am in awe at you. Im nervous about my first show this fall. I have doubts all the time about my work and my ability to make this work. Yet I find the strength and will to keep at it. Thanks for reminding me why.

Cheryl Z said...

sherrie... you speak from the heart. it shows & it's beautiful. it makes me realize once again how much time i'm spending on the peripherals of my business, leaving not much time for the passion -- making-jewelry. it's a balancing act i've yet to master. grateful for the reminder... cheryl